Wednesday, August 19, 2009

We are on our way to the magical #5

We are on our way to the magical #5 ear infection that we need here in a year to be referred to an ENT at the naval hospital here. Jacob now has his third ear infection since April! The drug of choice he cannot have due to a reaction to it so we are on our favorite pal Zithromax! I love the Zithromax because it's once a day and doesn't have to be refrigerator. I'm sure it tastes yummy too!!

I was wondering why last night he was shoving food into his right ear. I thought he was just being a crazy almost one year old but his right ear must have been bothering him. He woke up last night screaming and I thought it was just because of the loud crazy mopeds that were driving by (yes, there are Japanese moped gangs here that reeve their engines all night up and down the roads) or just gas. I didn't realize he didn't feel good until this morning when I took his temperature! 100.8 in his ear and 101.3 in his cute little tushie! Yes, i'm a nurse so I take it both ways if his ear one is elevated before giving Tylenol! It all makes sense now.

After a trip to the hospital I found out he has double ear infections. He isn't moving fluid in his right ear and his left isn't as bad as his right thank goodness! Poor thing. I feel so helpless since I don't know how to help him. But, I am loving all this extra cuddling time though!! Hopefully, he will be feeling better by friday if not it's back to the doctor for plan B which is IM antibiotics which I don't even want to think about that!!

On a happier note I actually had a pleasant experience at the hospital today which is a welcome surprise since that is usually not the case. I'm referring to his doctor's appointment not the pharmacy and how it took me 45 minutes to get his prescription and how 8 people came and had new prescriptions filled after me and left within five minutes of their numbers being called!!!

2 comments:

JG said...

Poor little guy! Hope he has a speedy recovery!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your little one! I am glad you at least had a good Ped's appointment. I am at my wits end with our Ped's department.

I hope he doesn't get anymore and recovers quickly!