We have been trying since we went home to AMERICA at the end of Feburary to get Jacob to take a sippy cup. Trying to get a baby who has never taken a bottle to take a sippy cup can really make you want to EBF till there is no more milk. It has really been a fight with him or more of just frustration for me. We tired the cheapest ones we could find to the most expensive ones we could find. We were hoping to figure out which one was best while we were home because we knew that the chance of the exchange here actually carrying the sippy cup Jacob loved would probably be very small. We left AMERICA with no real resolve. I was very disappointed.
We tried the Munchkin cup but the plastic spout on it just made him want to teethe on it and the same thing for Gerber's sip and smile cup. He hated the Playtex trainer cup and mostly just wanted to chew on the handles. He never liked the Nuby cup because he couldn't overcome figure out the suction on it. He got the hand of a the Nuby straw cup and I thought we had made a break through when he drank 1/4 of a sippy cup of water one night. I was rejoicing but that was short lived because soon he found out that if he got water to the tip of the straw and then pulled the straw out with his teeth clamped on it then water would spray everywhere. That was short lived and the cup just ended up on the floor everytime instead. I went ahead and tried some more advanced in age Playtex sippy cups with cool cars on the side thinking a character/cartoon might intereset him but how do you teach a child to hold a sippy cup that has never held a bottle let along teach him he has to tilt his head to get anything out or lift the cup up when he has never done either before with a bottle so that turned into a crawling toy to chase on the floor. My mom sent a few more straw cups but only for him to bite on the straw. Must frustrating because I knew soon that he would need to be weaned and if he couldn't drink from a sippy cup how was that possible!?! We learned he would drink from a straight up cup just fine without a problem and seemed to enjoy it but how do you sit down to do this countless number of times a day if you want to get anything done. (He was EBF every 1 1/2 to 2 hours for his first 8 months and now is every 3 so it's not that I'm saying I don't want to spend time with my child because I obviously spend time with him and love him very much) But, I am saying I would like a little break and be able to let Jon get up with him so I can sleep 30 minutes longer for once!! Okay, I got off the topic of sippy cups.
One day out of the blue I decided to try this Playtex cup again and he drank and drank and drank. We have still not finished a whole sippy cup all day but he drinks about 3/4 of it which makes me happy and gives him more than enough of flavored water and practice each day. I could kiss the person that designed this cup but Jon probably wouldn't be happy about that! But, it does make sense why he loves this cup. He knows how to nurse and latch on. He has been great at that since about two or three days old but all the other cups had too soft of spouts on them which only lead to chewing or biting them. This cup is has a spout on it that isn't soft and easy to chew even though at times I see his 8 little teeth knawling on it it but when watching him from the side I see that he essentially latches on to the cup as he does me. (sorry for the graphic image if you find that graphic) Point is, is that this cup works which makes me H-A-P-P-Y!!!


1 comment:
My son loves the Playtex cups too. Those were the only ones we could get him to use when weening him off of the bottle.
Glad you finally had some success.
Post a Comment