Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Night Flights

This week we are lucky enough to have two night flights. Normally, I would not think that night flights are lucky but I've come to like them. It means we get Jon home for the morning and I usually get woken up with a McFlurry and a cheeseburger. We usually go out to eat breakfast if Jon does not have to do any flight planning but this week we are staying at home because Jon is flight planning. I do prefer going out to eat for breakfast and having a low key morning but making dinner for lunch is just as good. Today I made Hamburger Pie for lunch. It's a casserole of sorts that one of my friends made for us after Jacob was born. It's super easy and anytime I can use my KitchenAid mixer to make mashed potatoes from scratch I'm happy. (Yes, Christina I still agree with Tim that you need one!!)

Here is the Hamburger Pie Recipe:

  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 10 oz can of tomato soup
  • 1 soup can full of water
  • 1 15 oz can of green beans
  • 1 tbs. dried onion flakes
  • 3 potatoes
  • Milk and butter to mash potatoes
  • Shredded Cheese

Cook potatoes until tender. Drain. Season with salt and pepper. Add butter and milk. Mash potatoes and set aside. Brown ground beef in skillet. Add onion flakes, tomato soup, and water. Cook until well blended. Add green beans and warm all together. Place mixture in a 1 1/2 qt. casserole pan. Add potatoes on top of meat mixture. Place shredded cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or microwave for 2 minutes.

I added real onions to it instead of the onion flakes. Next time I have decided that I will only add half a can of water. I actually have a picture of the finished product because Jon came over and took a picture of it after taking a picture of Jacob swinging in his swing.


No comments: