Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Cooking and blogging!

Now they we are seemingly settled back in Okinawa minus the boxes that still have to be unpacked from our move right before we left, I have gotten back into cooking. It is so much easier to cook in your own kitchen. If I shared the same love for blogging that I do for cooking then my blog would be constantly filled with new blogs but since I don't maybe eventually I will love blogging and the ease of it. It wasn't to long ago that I didn't love cooking but now I love it!

This is what I made last night. Jon even liked it better than the normal enchilada's that I make in the oven!!

Layered Enchilada's

1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1 small onion chopped about 1/3 cup (i used the frozen precut onions)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped (i used garlic powder that has the conversion for one clove on the side)
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 can (4.5oz) chopped green chile's
1 can (10oz) enchilada sauce
10 corn tortillas (6 inch)
3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (i just shredded a 10 oz bar of it)
Paprika
Chopped fresh cilantro (i omitted this completely)

Step 1. In 10 inch skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in soup and chile's.

Step 2. Spray 31/2 to 4 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. I used my big slow cooker and it was okay i thought. Spread about 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce in bottom of slow cooker. Place 4 corn tortillas over sauce, overlapping and breaking in half as necessary to make and even layer. Top with 1/3 of the beef mixture, spreading evenly. Drizzle with about 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese.

Step 3. Repeat layering twice, using 3 corn tortillas and half of remaining beef mixture, enchilada sauce and cheese in each layer. Sprinkle paprika over top.

Step 4. Cover; cook on low heat setting 4 hours and 30 minutes to 5 hours and 30 minutes. ( i did only 4 because we were hungry and the taco soup was ready)

Step 5 Let stand about 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle individual servings with cilantro.

Enjoy! I made it during nap time and then was set to go when Jake woke up!!

No comments: